Skip to content
Please donate

Council Tax rebate

The Government has announced a Council Tax rebate to help households deal with rising energy costs. Find out what you could be entitled to. 

What is the Council Tax rebate?

Depending on the Council Tax band of your property, you may be entitled to a £150 payment from your local council. You don't need to pay this back.

Payments will be made from April and you'll need to make a claim unless you pay your bill by direct debit. 

Am I entitled to a Council Tax rebate?

Many households will be entitled to the rebate. You'll be eligible if your property is in Council Tax bands A to D. This property must be our sole or main residence.

You'll be eligible even if you don't pay any Council Tax because you're on a local Council Tax Support scheme. 

Not sure what Council Tax band you're in? You can find out on the Government website. 

You may get some support from your council even if you live in a higher Council Tax band. Councils have been given a discretionary fund to help people in these higher bands. Ask your local council for its eligibility criteria. 

How much could I get from the tax rebate?

If you're eligible, you will get a £150 payment from April. You don't have to pay this money back at a later date. 

How can I get the Council Tax rebate?

If you pay your Council Tax bill by direct debit you should be paid into your account automatically.

If you don't pay your Council Tax bill by direct debit but you're eligible, you'll have to make a claim. Councils can set up their own claims process, but they should include an offline option - such as assisted applications over the phone. Alternatively, you may want to speak to your council about setting up a direct debit to pay your bill.

What other support is available to help with rising costs?

Whether you're eligible for the Council Tax rebate or not, there are other forms of support available to help you with rising costs.

  • Councils can also use a discretionary fund to help 'top up' your rebate. Speak to your council if you could benefit from this.
  • Have you checked whether you're entitled to other reductions on your Council Tax? Read our page for more information.
  • Are you claiming all you could be entitled to? Our benefits calculator is free and only takes a few minutes - see what you could and should be claiming
  • If you could do with help with essentials such as food, clothing, and utilities you should ask your council about its Household Support Fund. 

Worried about energy costs?

With energy costs rising, you may want to know more about what you can do to save money and what other support might be available to you. 

Find out more on our energy pages. 

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 07 2022

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top