Skip to content
Please donate

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability.

What is Personal Independence Payment?

Having a long-term illness or disability can make everyday life more difficult. It can affect your income, too – for instance, if you have to give up work or reduce your hours.

If you're under State Pension age and you're in this situation, PIP could give you a little extra money to help you pay for things.

You can spend PIP on whatever you need.

How much Personal Independence Payment could I get?

How much PIP you could get depends on how difficult it is for you to do certain things – such as preparing food and drink, dressing and undressing, or getting around.

PIP has two parts: a daily living component and a mobility component. You might be able to claim one or both components.

Daily living component Weekly rate
Standard £61.85
Enhanced £92.40
Mobility component Weekly rate
Standard £24.45
Enhanced £64.50

PIP is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA). However, if you were born before 8 April 1948 and you're already currently claiming DLA, you can continue to do so.

Am I eligible to claim Personal Independence Payment?

You might be eligible for PIP if you’re under State Pension age and you need help with daily living activities, getting around, or both.

It isn't based on your National Insurance contributions and it isn't means-tested, so how much you earn or how much you have in saving doesn't make a difference.

If you’re awarded PIP before you get to State Pension age, you’ll continue to receive it afterwards, too. You can still make a claim if you’re working.

If you're not sure when you reach State Pension age, you can find out here.

If you've reached State Pension age and have care needs, you should claim Attendance Allowance instead.

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

How do I claim Personal Independence Payment?

To make a claim, you need to fill out the PIP claim form. There are a couple of ways to get a form. You can:

  • call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777). They'll ask you for some basic information and then send you a claim form.
  • write to ‘Personal Independence Payment New Claims’. You'll be sent a form to provide some information before they send you the claim form.

It's important to be aware that it can take longer to get a decision if you start your claim by post.

If you need any help with filling out the form, contact your local Age UK.

Once you've submitted your form, your claim will be assessed by a healthcare professional. You might have a face-to-face assessment as part of this.

You’ll get a score based on how much help the assessment shows you need. This determines how much PIP you might receive.

You'll then be informed of the outcome of your claim. If your claim is turned down, you can challenge it. If you need advice, contact your local Age UK.

We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 125 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 13 2022

You might also be interested in...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top