If you’re under Pension Credit qualifying age and living on a low income, you could benefit from Income Support.
What is Income Support?
Income Support is a benefit to help people on a low income. If you’re unable to work or don't work many hours, this benefit could help to top up your income.
How much money could I get from Income Support?
You could get up to:
- £73.10 a week if you’re single
- £114.85 a week if you’re a couple
But the amount you get may vary depending on your circumstances. For example you may get more money if you're disabled.
How could Income Support help me?
Am I eligible to claim Income Support?
You may be able to claim Income Support if you can say yes to all of the following:
- Are you below the age you can claim Pension Credit?
- Are you a carer, or a lone parent or grandparent looking after a child younger than 5?
- Are you on a low income?
- Do you have less than £16,000 in savings?
- Do you work fewer than 16 hours a week?
- If you have a partner, do they work fewer than 24 hours a week?
What counts as a low income?
When you apply for Income Support, your income, savings and circumstances will be taken into account. What counts as a low income will depend on your individual situation.
If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible, you could use our benefits calculator to find out:
How do I claim Income Support?
There are two ways to claim Income Support.
- By phone: Contact Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 or textphone 0800 023 4888.
- By post: You can you can fill out a claim form on GOV.UK. Print it out and post it to your local Jobcentre.
- You should receive a letter with a decision.
- If you don’t hear anything within two weeks, give the Department for Work and Pensions a ring on 0800 169 0310 or textphone 0800 169 0314 to find out what’s happening with your claim.
What to do next?
Download a claim form
Visit GOV UK to get hold of a form to claim Income Support
What benefits can you claim?
Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Age UK's Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.