Charity shops volunteering
What do Age UK shops offer?
In 2023 half a million customers visited one of our shops every week with over 110,000 making a purchase. Our stores also act as an important hub in the community with leaflets in store promoting a wide range of information, products, and services available to older people and their families.
What’s great about volunteering with an Age UK shop?
As a volunteer you will become part of a friendly supportive shop team. Our volunteers find the experience personally rewarding.
"I love being an Age UK volunteer"
"It gets me out of the house, I meet lots of different people and I find it very satisfying. It has taught me that if you want to do something for other people, it doesn’t matter what it is, however small - do it!"
Elizabeth - volunteer with Age UK Biggleswade
What will I do as a volunteer?
Our shop volunteers are book collectors and fashion connoisseurs. They are listeners and friends. They know that one person’s unwanted clutter is another person’s treasure.
As a volunteer you’ll serve customers, sort stock and make window displays. But the role is so much more than that.
Our shops are local hubs of activity. Older people visit to browse and chat when they have no one else to talk to at home. And while all this is happening, you’ll be helping Age UK raise vital funds to provide vital services and support.
Steps to becoming a volunteer
- You sign up and start your volunteer application online. We'll post new opportunities regularly which you can search for with your postcode.
- Signing up involves completing references and passing any ID checks. We ask you to have two references ready when you apply.
- Once we've checked references and IDs an Age UK Shop Manager will be in touch to discuss what help is required and you can discuss your skills and what you believe you can offer.
- If you have any issues or questions as part of signing up, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
What might I get from the experience?
- You'll make new friends.
- You'll learn new skills.
- You'll be supporting a great cause at the heart of your community.
- You'll be part of a fantastic team.
How am I supported?
Your shop manager and other staff will be available to support you from your very first day.
Volunteer with an Age UK shop
If you're happy with everything that being a volunteer involves, we'd love to hear from you.