Skip to content
Please donate

Finding legal advice

You may be able to get free legal advice, or help to cover legal costs. Find out how.

Where can I access free legal advice?

Depending on the advice you need, it could be available for free. Some of the sources of free advice listed below can give you initial advice before helping you decide what to do. Others may be able to help with cases that are more complex and even represent you at a tribunal.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offers free advice on a wide range of issues, including benefits, housing or employment problems. They can provide advice over the phone or in person at one of their offices.

Law centres

Law centres offer free legal advice in their centres across the country. They cover topics such as benefits, employment, housing, immigration and asylum, discrimination and debt.

Trade unions

If you’re a member of a trade union, you may be able to get free legal advice through them, not just about employment-related issues. Contact your union rep to find out what they offer.

Can Age UK help?

We don't offer legal advice but we can suggest reliable sources of information and advice to help you with your situation.

Age UK runs a free national advice line that is open 8am to 7pm 365 days a year. To speak to someone, just call 0800 678 1602.

If you prefer to talk to someone face to face, your local Age UK can suggest reliable sources of information and advice. They also have their own information and advice service which can help you with issues such as social care, welfare benefits and housing.

Find your local Age UK


  • Please select a search type
  • Please enter a valid postcode

Can I get help with legal costs?

Legal aid can sometimes help people with the cost of legal advice or bringing a case to tribunal. It’s not available for everyone – it’s only for eligible cases, and only if you have a low income. Eligible cases might include if you’re at risk of losing your home, or if you have experienced discrimination.

Find out more about legal aid on the .GOV.UK website which contains information about eligibility and how to claim

How do I find a solicitor?

If an advice agency or free service can’t help, you may need to get advice from a private solicitor. This could be for help with making a will, setting up a lasting power of attorney, buying or selling a house, or getting a divorce.

Different solicitors specialise in different areas of law, such as criminal, divorce or employment law.

  1. Search for a solicitor by contacting the Law Society. They will provide several options.
  2. Call a few to compare the service they offer - don’t forget to ask them about their fees so you can see which one is affordable for you.
  3. Check a solicitor’s record with the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority and make sure they are registered with them before you hire them

If you aren’t happy with the service you get from a solicitor, you can make a complaint. You should complain to the solicitor’s firm directly first. If you feel that your complaint isn’t resolved, contact the Legal Ombudsman, which can investigate complaints about solicitors. Their service is free and independent.

For more information call the Age UK Advice Line on 0800 678 1602.
We’re open 8am to 7pm, every day of the year.

Share this page

Last updated: May 04 2021

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top