Spread the Warmth
Last winter, there were 31,800 excess winter deaths among the over 65s from cold related illnesses. Age UK provides information, advice and support to help older people keep warm and well in winter. Find out what we do and how you can help.
Top tips for keeping well in winter
As we get older, our bodies respond differently to the cold which can leave us more susceptible to serious health problems. With a little preparation and our top tips, you can stay healthy, safe and comfortable this winter.
- Keep your feet up
If you're sitting down, try to keep your feet up as the air is cooler at ground level.
- Use electric blankets safely
If using an electric blanket, make sure to get it checked by an expert every three years. Never use an electric blanket with a hot-water bottle.
- Keep your face covered
As well as wearing gloves and a hat when outside, wrap a scarf around your face as this helps to warm the air you breathe.
- Wear layers
Several thin layers of clothing will keep your warmer than one thick later as it helps to trap the warm air.
- See if you're entitled to help
If you are worried about the cost of heating your home, make sure you are not missing out on any benefits or discounts that will help keep you and your home warm. Find out what benefits you're entitled to
Keep well in winter
From getting financial help with energy bills to keeping health in winter, we explain what else you can do to get yourself ready for winter, as well as where to go for more information and support.
How we are helping to spread the warmth
Each year through our information and advice services, we help millions of people to know their rights and make the best choices for later life. We want to make sure older people are prepared not just for winter, but for everything they may face in later life.
How we do this:
- Age UK Advice Line - our free, confidential, national phone service for older people and their families, friends, carers and professionals - which is open 365 days a year.
- Online through the Age UK website, we provide free information and advice to help older people on topics as diverse as claiming benefits to care homes.
- Through our advice guides available in our shops, GP surgeries and other community settings.
- Local Age UKs also provide face-to-face information and advice and a range of services to help people in later life throughout the UK.
Finding Your Feet
Age UK has joined forces with Entertainment One for the making and launch of a new film, Finding Your Feet - a modern, uplifting comedy that highlights some of the challenges that can be faced in later life, including keeping well in winter, while also showing that it's never too late to start again.
Please help us be there for older people in need
By donating today, you could help us answer more calls to our advice line, campaign harder for older people’s rights and fair treatment and provide regular friendship calls to people who are desperately lonely.