Skip to content
Please donate

Transport concessions for disabled people

If you're disabled you could be entitled to free travel on local buses or discounts on your rail journeys.

What transport concessions could I get as an disabled older person?

  • Disabled person’s bus pass: A disabled person’s bus pass entitles you to free travel on local buses in England.
  • Disabled person's railcard: The Disabled Person's Railcard allows you and your travelling companion to make big savings on most rail fares in the UK.
  • Community transport: If you're disabled, can't use ordinary public transport, and don't have access to a car, there are community transport schemes you may be able to use such as social cars, dial-a-ride, or taxicard schemes. Shopmobility schemes help people shop in town centres by lending wheelchairs and scooters. You could also contact your local council or your local Age UK to find out about available services in your area.
  • London Freedom Pass: Gives you free travel across London and free bus journeys nationally.

There is no national concessionary scheme at present, but ask your coach operator if they offer any discounts. For example, National Express offers a Disabled Coachcard, which gives you a third off your travel throughout the year. It costs £12.50 a year and is available for people with a disability.

Different regions and local authorities may offer additional concessions that apply to local transport, such as trams and ferries, if they operate in those areas. Contact your local council for more information about what they offer.

Am I eligible for these concessions?

  • Disabled person’s bus pass: There's no central provider, so get in touch with your local authority to find out if you're eligible
  • Disabled person’s railcard: You may qualify if you:
    • receive a disability related benefit, including Personal Independence Payment
    • are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid
    • are registered as having a visual impairment
    • have epilepsy
    • receive Attendance Allowance
    • receive Severe Disablement Allowance
    • receive War Pensioner's mobility supplement
    • receive War or Service Disablement pension 
  • London Freedom Pass: You can apply for a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass if you’re a London resident and have a disability.

How do I apply for these concessions?

Disabled Person's Bus Pass

Contact your local council to find out who issues disabled bus passes in your area as part of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme.

Disabled Person's Railcard

You can buy your Disabled Person’s Railcard online on the Disabled Person's Railcard website.

London Freedom Pass

Visit the Freedom Pass website to start your application.

Stations Made Easy

National Rail has created an interactive tool to help people find their way around stations and, where possible, navigate away from potentially-difficult features - such as stairs - to find a more suitable route.

For more information call the Age UK Advice Line on 0800 678 1602.
We’re open 8am to 7pm, every day of the year.

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

Share this page

Last updated: Feb 04 2022

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top